Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 432: Happiness And An Ebarassin Note From The Mom

Happiness is a day when I hear no storm, feel no storm, can enjoy my out of doors... and go right back... IN OF DOORS!!! Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat... You get pitcher.

[Note from the Mom:

Huge storm cells have formed to our far northwest, travelling southeast... and many to the west and south of us. They've gotten well within Luke's storm "feeling" range, and they've dissipated.

Luke keeps wanting to go outside, and once out there... he cocks his head in all directions and sniffs the air. I can see him creating charts and graphs, in his head. I've been watching radar as well as for his panic... but it's not happened.

There's no way I can explain his keen sense of weather, nor any way you would believe me if I did. He often gives me the sign in the pre-dawn hours, that we will have afternoon storms.

That said, just as every the Mom knows... "An ounce of prevention is worf a pound of cure"...

And every morning with a threatening forecast... which is almost every single morning these days, I carefully dry the bathtub/shower and place a pillow in the tub.

I tilt the blinds in order to get light, but I leave them down in case he panics and tries to break out a window (he has never done this, but he will either attempt to squeeze himself through an opened door... or throw himself against a door I'm trying to open. Through GRRH, I've come to know a few dogs who will break out windows and doors during thunderstorms... so I'm extra cautious).

I unplug the computer and all other components under the antique drafting table that serves as my computer desk... and also his holiday / weekend bunker in the suburbs.

And because I worry about fire if the power goes out and the pump runs dry, I unplug the aquarium filter (poor fish, but I always crank it back up first thing, when I walk in the door). I always did this for Comet, so that's nothing new.

I watch radar on my second monitor at work, and I bolt home when I see there's going to be a problem. I've come to plan my life around the weather and Luke's fears... and while I sometimes grow weary of the worry... that emotion is miniscule in comparison to the depth my heart breaks when he's in his panic.

You all know, because you feel it yourself for your precious ones... I will do ANYthing and EVERYthing for my boys. I will face and fight for them,... all of their fears and neglects. I will do everything in my power to meet their every need, build their confidence and make up for past (life) indscretions.

Luke's original "owners" listed the reason for surrendering him as...

"bolts inside during thunderstorms"

Which came first? His fear... or his neglect?

The answer will always tumble around in the back of my mind, but in reality, it doesn't matter. What matters is how we handle each day now. And I work hard to build his confidence and assuage his fears.

It's hard to pretend his reasons for panic are unreal, to act as if everything is fine and life is normal... while brushing him for four hours (3:45 of which is done with the back of the brush, because he has no more hair that should possibly come out!)... or offering him cheddar cheese or berry treats!


If I could wish anything for him, I would wish longevity, no more lumps and braveness.

But the bottom line... the point of all of this is...

For all he means to me, for all the love he's brought into my life, for the tenderness he shows me when he puts me to bed and snuggles with me in the early morning hours... for all Luke deserves and the many ways he is just my Luke....

My heart will never stop breaking over his panic, but I will gladly do everything I can for him each and every day for the next thirty or forty years, maybe more (but it will certainly be from either the grave or the rest home)... I will gladly do it.


He's just that special, and so is his brother. Luke and Bleu mean EVERYthing to me!!!]

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... you obviously love your dogs a lot. My assistant has a friend with a dog who is just as scared as Luke when it comes to storms. He goes totally crazy... he wasn't a rescue and wasn't neglected or mistreated either. They've had him since he was a pup.
Then there's me... nothing bothers me. Storms, fireworks... bring it on. I don't care.
I hope for your sake that Luke chills out some. He's one lucky dog to have a home with you now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke,
We hope you realize that you've got the very bestest dog moma that any pup could ever have. You and the Bleu are like with Allstate cuz you're in good (and caring) hands. Dad says that both Old Bear Dog and Rusty had a strong fear and panic reaction to thunderstorms. Bear would go upstairs to the MBR and go inside the big walk-in closet and lay on a dog bed that was kept in there for when he needed seclusion. If mom or dad was home they'd turn on the closet light and shut the door for him until the storm passed. Having the radio or stereo on helped too. Rusty would would lay on the carpet right up close to the bed on the side away from the window. The other guys weren't that bothered by the thunder. In our current pack, Max isn't too keen on rain or thenderstorms. OBTW: we all reread the post a couple of times and want you to know that you must've forgot to put in the "Ebarassin Note From The Mom." We wanted to read about whatever dumb thing she had done this time so don't forget to post it next time.
- TBH&K
- TBH&K

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Which species is lukhkier?

Luke
or
The Mom

??????

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Luke is such a lucky boy to have you for his mom. Wish there were some answers for him. Have you looked into that storm jacket that Joe Stains has been testing?

http://www.thundershirt.com/

Hope the weather improves and stays improved.

Hugs, the OP Pack

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

what a great post - luke is very lucky to have found you as i am sure you are lucky to have him. These guys the more they need the more love they give - god bless you

Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I have never met a dog owner so suited for a dog....You are BOTH (all including Bleu) VERY special!!!

Beth (the Mama)

Anonymous said...

Sophie, my 6 year old dachshund can also tell when a thunderstorm is 80 miles away. Yes, I too look at weather.com before making plans. In addition to thundershirt there is also the original "anxiety wrap" which we have ordered after finding that a homemade prototype did make a difference.

A friend with a weather forcasting american bulldog finds that turning on the fan in the bathroom works (it maybe the vibrations?)

Sierra Rose said...

Hi Luke and the mom!!! Really glad to stop by. Mom's Golden Honey would shake and panic at the ka-booms of avalance bombs when mom and dad went skiing..... Mom would hold Honey tight and try to calm her, but did not work.
Mom and dad are trying to train me to all sorts of sounds by watching loud boom movies with me, and them staying calm....if the volume is loud enough, things shake at the booms in the movie!
Well...if ya'll need a break from the weather pattern you are experiencing, please let us know......

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Scout and Freyja said...

You've got me bawling like a baby. When I read about how you feel about Luke I can hear my voice. You and I have so much in common when it comes to loving our dogs. I remember once, a long time ago, my spaniel was in the middle of a road pooping. Around the corner came the mail truck. What did I do? Why, I jumped in front of my dog waving my arms like a lunatic so he wouldn't be hit. Didn't think about me, just didn't want my dog hit. Chuck finished his doo-doo, I turned around and the two of us walked into my yard, without a look back.

I have a fenced yard now and am no so stupid as to allow my dogs out like I did when I was in my 20s, but I loved them then like I love them now.

I am holding you and Luke as tight as I can and as gently as I can because someday your heart will break...and mine will break with yours.

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

We are so glad that the Luke (and the Bleu) found the Mom who loves them so very much. We are glad you all have each other. We also hope storm season gets over soon.

Love, the Daisy and the Tucker

Checkers & Chess said...

oh luke - i'm glad the storms stopped for now - they've been here a bit this afternoon - but seem to be gone - it's supposed to cool off here too - I guess that means 97 here - and total humidity - which i know you know all about

your mom takes really good care of you during those storms - i know that - but i want you to know that i feel your pain through osmosis or something and i'm always by your side!

Anonymous said...

Amen, Amanda, I hear you! I often wonder how anyone could neglect/not want these two?

Believe me, the more I know people, the more I love my dogs. (and kitties, too)

Scout and Freyja said...

Mr. Luke, we don't think that you have ever done anything wrong in your whole life, but we think that maybe, just maybe, you have a little somethin' to hide...maybe!?

We would like to invite you over to our bloggy cuz we gots an award fur you if you would like to take it. We think that you will have lots of fun playin' with it!

Thor and Jack said...

Great post! I´m so glad you found each other! Luke, Bleu and mom, you are very special! This is love!

xoxo
Thor

Dog By Nature said...

Luke is a special boy to have such a loving mom. Storm issues are hard, Spencer had them so we know the feeling although we were very lucky not living in a stormy place. We're fostering a boy called Lucky Luke right now, hope he finds a good home like your boy.

Farley's Mom said...

You are the best dog Mom! We are so happy that Luke has such a loving family, who will do anything to help comfort his fears. Bless your heart :)

How Sam Sees It said...

You are wonderful to Luke! I'm glad you care so much for him!

Sam