Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day Three: Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep...

And as my lids grow heavy, I'm etching names on my heart... of all to whom I owe my second life... to those who believed in me and to those who looked me in the eyes, reading the list of my hopes and dreams and determined themselves to make them come true:

"To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under Heaven.
A time to be born, and time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted".

To The Letter Writer of Chapter One: I know this has been hard on you, too. Thanks for doing what you could, and know in the end that you did what was best. My wish for you is the magnitude of love, hope and happiness that I've found... and none of the uncertainty, hurt and fear that I've felt along the way. All's well that ends well, they say... so go to bed tonight knowing that all's truly well.

"A time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up".

To Fuzzy Friends Of Waco: Your many acts of kindness and nurturing, your hopes that were invested in me... are etched on my heart. I'll not let you down.

"A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn,
and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones,
and a time to gather stones together".

To Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston: Wow. Where do I begin? I guess, first... thanks for the lift! You know... from Waco to Houston, my spirits, etc. Uncle Tom, Aunt Madison, Aunt Karen and Aunt Melinda... you were a whirlwind of love, attention, devotion and promotion. And thank you, most of all, for seeing to it that my second life... Chapter Two, if you will... plays out well. Here's hoping that my writings here are just a brief respite from the joyous dance of your match-making!

"A time to to embrace... A time to get.. A time to keep...
A time to sew...A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love... and a time of peace".


To My New Mom and/or Summer Camp Counselor Extraordinaire: Your nuttiness is growing on me... I find your neuroses endearing. Really, I do. I like that you speak to me with kindness and that you like me way more than the things in your house. I even like that silly baby talk thing you do, the way you smooch my nose and just up and hug me for no apparent reason. I like that you sit with me outside, that you come in when I'm ready and sit with me inside. I like to follow you. You look spectacular from behind. I like that if I bolt, you'll chase me with bloody feet till you catch me. I like that you let me know that I've crossed the line of what's expected of me, but you don't hold a grudge. Thank you for your attention, your cool floors, soft beds, fresh waters and tasty foods. And thank you most of all for including me in so much that you do. Gulp. I think... I love you!

No comments: